There are a number of general aims that are common to all areas of sport. The most important of these are:
- To develop an awareness of the need for physical activity in maintaining good health for life.
- To encourage pupils to develop an interest in physical activity in maintaining good health for life.
- To enable pupils to develop an interest in physical activities which will provide a recreational activity once they have left school.
- To help pupils to learn how to co-operate with each other and work successfully as a member of a group.
- To develop commitment, self control and self confidence.
- To improve the motor skills of each pupil.
- To provide pupils with an opportunity to develop high standards of performance in a range of physical activities.
In order to fulfil these aims, all pupils will be required to participate in Physical Education and they will be expected to adhere to the school’s extra-curricular requirements.
Grade 7-9 pupils are expected to do one sport and one cultural activity each term.
Grade 10-12 pupils are expected to do either a sport or a cultural activity each term.
The sports programme offers a variety of sports and will change according to the season.